I am going to talk about the time I spent in London taking my English course. Every time I think about it the word that comes to my mind is just “AWESOME”. And why? Which are the reasons that made me have one of the best times of my life? It is easy to answer this question since everything there was great, but if I had to make a list from 1 to 5 this would be the chosen one:
- The place where we stayed was beautiful. The college was set in a very calm area and it was surrounded by huge gardens of grass and trees. The view was breathtaking and it was great to rest for a while lying on the green grass during the break.
- I was surprised when I came into my room. It was a single one and each of us had our own bathroom, which was very comfortable. Moreover, the rest of the facilities of the whole college were perfectly adapted to make our stay easy, apart from all of the staff who worked there that was very friendly and always ready to help.
- One of the things we were worried about were those fantastic English meals. Taking into account the common topic about the kind of food served in England we thought about fries, fries, fries, and… fries! I mean, fast food and, of course, no fruit in our daily diet. But we were wrong and this was great! We had the opportunity to enjoy very tasty and varied meals and, to our great surprise, fruit was found in all of our menus.
- I also enjoyed the opportunity of working with people from other countries during our classes and out of them. Mixing with foreign people who did not share the same language forced us to communicate in English, which enabled everyone in the school to improve their knowledge about it. From my point of view, it was great to check how two people from two opposed cultures could understand each other although sometimes our ideas collided. But this also helped us to open our minds and to be more respectful and understanding with everyone.
- And, finally, I have to mention the new friends I met in the school. I shared two fantastic weeks with people from three different foreign universities and my relation with some of them was great. I realized that they were people worth knowing. We sang, we danced, we shouted, we played, we cried, we laughed together and this is what makes me wish I was with Giulia, Daniel, Alessandra and some others right now!
But also I could not forget about my Spanish friends! I spent most of the days with them visiting different places and having a fantastic time. In a park close to St Paul´s Cathedral I experienced one of the best moments of my stay in London. We were wandering around when we bumped into a music band that was playing some music with a piano. We had a chat with them and we asked them to play something for us, the song that transformed into the song of our trip to London: “True romance” by the Citizens. I was so happy to stay there and to meet so many new people that I started to cry! I was excited and I just thought that I did not want to come back to Spain because I felt comfortable, glad and in the mood of experiencing so many different great moments like the one of that fantastic day!
To summarize, the perfect definition of a splendid experience was Erasmus IP in St Mary´s University College, Twickenham.
Laura Sanchez Caballo, Salamanca University